Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Fashionista Birthday!

“I don’t do fashion. I am fashion.” -Coco Chanel

I was asked to make cupcakes for two sisters' birthdays. Both are into fashion and name brands so I thought what better than to put those labels right on the cupcake!

I decided to make these cupcakes from a pound cake recipe. I topped each cupcake with white buttercream icing. One of the birthday girl's favorite brands were Fendi, Dolce & Gabbana, Tiffany & Co., Chanel, Michael Kors, and Swarovski. I used fondant to create these logos and placed them ontop of the white buttercream icing.


This is the Tiffany & Co. cupcake.
I used buttercream icing tinted "robin egg blue", and sprinkled a few edible sugar pearls. The white bow was made out of fondant.

This is the Swarovski cupcake.
It was a little more challenging but I decided to go freehand and draw on their signature swan logo with an edible black marker.

This is the Michael Kors cupcake.
I cut out black M & K letters from a strip of fondant and altered them to make the Kors logo.

This is the Chanel cupcake,
I used two Cs cut from a strip of black fondant and layered them to make the logo. I then layered the thin fondant below that to create a contrasting pattern, which you'd see on many Chanel handbags.

This is the Fendi cupcake.
A lot of Fendi handbags and shoes show their logo as a never-ending sea of Fs! So that's what I tried to create for this cupcake. I dusted the underlying fondant with some brown food coloring to give it that true Fendi look.

This is the Dolce & Gabbana cupcake.
Again, I used black fondant to cut out the letters. I decided to imprint the underlying white fondant with a quilted pattern to give it a more elegant look.

The order was for mini cupcakes to spell out happy birthday, as well as six regular-sized custom cupcakes. This is what the end result was.

I really enjoyed doing something different like this. It made me think outside the box as to how to incorporate what the birthday girls liked.
From what I hear, they were a hit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment